Popular Posts

Sunday, March 2, 2014

First Lenten Reflection
February 2, 2014

                      “Pray without ceasing.”
1 Thessalonians 5:17
(NRSV)

The goal of Lent  (know as the Great Fast in the Eastern Catholic tradition), is to draw closer to God through increased prayer, almsgiving and fasting and to carry at least some of these spiritual practices into our after-lent life. 
 On the eve of this Lent, I am preparing to share some reflections with you, in hopes that we can grow together and perhaps exchange ideas, stories and encouragement. 

What are my credentials?  I have none!  I am a layperson who has no special wisdom or erudition, a person who has the time (retired teacher), the inclination and the desire to pray, study and write.  I have been an agnostic, an atheist, a protestant, and a Roman Catholic.  I now have found a spiritual home in the Byzantine (Eastern) Catholic church, but continue to dialogue eagerly with people of all denominations.

First Lenten suggestion:   
Choose a prayer to repeat as ceaselessly as you are able
 Select a favorite prayer, word or phrase (some suggestions follow), and repeat it as often as you can remember.
“Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.”
“Come, Lord.” ('Maranatha' in Aramaic)
“Jesus, I trust in you.”
“Lord, lead me.”
“Open my eyes, Lord.”
“Oh God, come to my assistance; Oh Lord, make haste to help me.”
“In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit”
“I love you, Lord.”
“Glory to you, Our God, Glory to you”
“All praise and all thanksgiving, be every moment thine.”
Or just choose a single word to repeat over and over through-out the day, such as ‘Jesus,’ ‘Alleluia,’ ‘Amen,’ or ‘Abba’ (Daddy God).
You may wish to sing or chant your prayer!

..................................................................................Yours in Christ, Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment